Total Pageviews

Monday, February 7, 2011

Getting to the core

Just a random fact I read over while studying the past hour or so- (back to my blog discussing chronic diseases) I was shocked in finding out- it's estimated that 75% of the adult population in the U.S. does not partake in at least 30 minutes of low to moderate activity on a daily basis (thats the MINIMAL standard). That means your risk of chronic disease goes up significantly. I don't know what it will take to get some people off the couch and inthe gym or out for a walk for a minmum of 30 minutes- but that is not a lot out of your day at ALL! Think about it- thats 30 minutes it takes to watch a TV show- that you can probably watch on one of the TV's at the gym while you do your cardio. 
On to another subject- the importance of CORE training.
Your core is composed of roughly 30 muscles between your hips and your ribcage. These muscles are used  for maintaining proper stability, posture, and may help one avoid possible injury.
Lower back pain affects nearly 80% of the adult population- it's more common then you think! Strengthening your core will help reduce your lower back pain. There are several 'core' exercises you can do to help strengthen, and stabilize your body.
In my opinion, one of the best exercises to strengthen your core is the plank exercise.
 I personally always work on core training at the gym and found this exercise to be one of the most beneficial to me! To integrate more challenge into this exercise..extend your arms all the way (in a push up position) and hold. Another way to incorporate more challenge is by lifting one leg, or arm at a time. This recruits more muscles to stabilize your core when you are on 3, instead of 4 limbs.

Try it out- it'll make you sore :)

2 comments:

  1. they sure do work!!! I did some today and I can feel my back needs some work! Time for some superman's!!!

    ReplyDelete